Monday 13 February 2012

` The Two Grenadiers`- R. Schumann (Suzuki Violin)

                        We are just starting this piece hence a few infos on the above.
                                      Just so we can easily go back to it and revise
                                                                          Source

                                                   The Two Grenadiers
                                                                     1840

                                                             By Robert Schumann
                                                        Suzuki Violin School  Book 2


                          Great source of advice Re. bowing etc  AlissonsViolinStudio
                            Also Alisson`s Practice video for this piece



                                                         Backround info

                 The piece inspired by a romantic poem  which served as lyrics for Schumann`s piece

By Heinrich Heine (XIXth Century  German romantic poet)

To France were marching two Grenadiers
who had been captured in Russia.
And when they came into German lands,
they hung their heads in shame. 
And here they learned the sorry tale
that France was lost forever,
her valiant army beaten and smashed,
and the Emperor, the Emperor captured!
The grenadiers then wept together,
hearing these pitiful tidings.
One said, "Ah, the agony,
my wound is a blaze of fire."
The other said, "This is the end,
and gladly I'd die with you,
but I've a wife and child at home,
who without me will perish."
"To hell with wife, to hell with child,
my thoughts are for things far higher;
let them beg, if they've nothing to eat-
my Emperor, my Emperor captured!
"Grant me, brother, one request:
if I am now to die,
take my body to France with you,
bury me in French soil.
"The cross of honor on its red ribbon
you shall lay upon my heart;
my musket give me in my hand,
and buckle my saber on me.
"And so will I, quiet, lie and listen,
like a sentinel in my grave,
until I hear the cannons' roar,
the whinny and thunder of horses.
"Then will my Emperor ride over my grave,
swords will be clashing and flashing;
and armed, I'll rise up from the grave-
to guard my Emperor, my Emperor!"


   Also see:

Borja/ Bungs-Schumann "The Two Grenadiers" Op. 49/1

 La Marseillaise  -info
La Marseillaise -beautiful performance


 Music dynamics  ( please, check out this Wikipedia info)

cresc. ( Crescendo)  literally translates "to become gradually stronger", but is interpreted as louder gradually



No comments:

Post a Comment