Saturday 16 June 2012

MAKE YOUR OWN CHALK PAINT ... YOU'RE WELCOME!!

 MAKE YOUR OWN CHALK PAINT ... YOU'RE WELCOME!!:

'via Blog this'


 chalk paint recipe
 source

Calcium Carbonate

2 parts paint

1 part Calcium Carbonate

My hands down #1 choice was the Calcium Carbonate Recipe…which makes good sense since Calcium Carbonate is chalk!
It mixed into the paint easily, had the perfect consistency,  coverage was fantastic, dried within 30 minutes, AND left me with a perfect chalky finish.  I stored the left over paint in a yogurt container and it kept the same consistency for days. (I did stir it vigorously each time before use.)
The only downfall to my #1 choice was I had a difficult time finding it!  Not many stores sell it in powder form and the pill form won’t work even if you grind them up.
My local pharmacy ordered it in for me and I picked it up 4 days later.  Since then, I’ve found a good grade Calcium Carbonate On-line and will be ordering from the comfort of my home. :)

As I mentioned above, the Plaster of Paris recipe was used to re-purpose the sewing table into a desk, but I used the Calcium Carbonate Chalk Paint to paint the matching chair.  Can you tell the difference?



Plaster of Paris Recipe

3 parts Paint

1 part Plaster of Paris

Water to mix


My number 2 pick is the Plaster of Paris recipe.
I made a smooth paste with the plaster of paris and water before mixing it into the paint.  When mixed well, it was silky smooth and applied just as nicely as brand name chalk paint.
The second day it did thicken a little and appeared a little grainy, but after a thorough mixing it was fine.
The left over paint was stored in a glass pickle jar and used again 2 weeks later.

Plaster of Paris Chalk Paint Cost - $6.oo for a large box which will last for a looong time + cost of latex paint
Time Involved -  Easy to find Plaster of Paris on-line or at any Lowes, Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire or craft store.  3-5 minutes to measure and mix it thoroughly into the water and paint.
Application - Fabulous! The consistency was great and it applied like brand name chalk paint.
Adhesion & Coverage - Great! No priming or prep required.  Applied 3 coats for compete coverage.
Odour - None other than the latex paint used.
Distressing - Requires sanding.  Not as effortless as with a brand name chalk paint (ie rubbing with dampened cloth).
Clean Up - Cleans up like regular latex (brand name chalk paint clean up is much easier)
Finish - The finished look is exactly like a brand name chalk paint. Smooth, chalky and lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment