Monday 5 August 2013

Chia seed crackers

Chia seed crackers — Intensity Personal Training
to try

Over the weekend, we had a day at the races. Well, not quite. It was a day on the couch, watching the final day of the Melbourne Cup Carnival.
We decided to indulge with a little antipasto platter.  I wanted to include some crackers but the lousy feeling I get from eating wheat-based crackers did not really appeal.
Gluten-guts... no thanks.
So, I decided to try making my own crackers.
They were so good, I made another small batch today - for the purpose of photographing them...
The ingredients were pretty simple:
1 egg
3 teaspoons of chia seeds
3 teaspoons of almond meal (home-made)
1 tablespoon of coconut flour
Salt, pepper, chilli
Method was equally simple:
Combine all ingredients and form into a ball.  Then place the ball on a piece of baking paper, and lay another sheet of paper over the top. Flatten it out (either with your hand or a rolling pin - I used my hand) and keep smoothing it out until it is quite thin. I used a narrow glass to cut the crackers into circles and them baked in oven (approximately 180 degrees for 15mins or until crispy and browned).
Variations:
You're only limited by your imagination. What ingredients would you throw into your crackers?
Below are a couple of popular supermarket crackers, and the ingredients list from the packets.  If you had a choice... would you take the 10mins to prepare your own crackers and pop them in the oven, or would you choose the convenience of these chemical cocktails below

No comments:

Post a Comment